Saturday 6 July 2019

[Maine-birds] Sidney wood thrushes and a bobolink survivor

Very happy to listen to a wood thrush this week at my neighbor's. Today on my bike ride I heard another further down the road from her and last weekend I had one on the Goodhue Road in a spot I haven't heard them before. Year of the wood thrush?

Also on my bike ride:

10 common yellowthroats (putting the common in their name)
5 re vireos
5 ovenbirds
3 veeries
2 chestnut sided warblers
2 n. parula
2 pine warblers
1 yellow warbler
1 black and white warbler
1 redstart
(our local n. waterthrush refused to sing as I rode by.)

The killdeer in the unplanted corn field are noisy. 

In my yard this week--for the first time in 15 years, a bobolink nest survived haying. I watched the parents continue to feed young in the field (couldn't see how many) and scold me when I tentatively tried to locate the nest.

Later, the young must have run into the edge between our yard and the field (mix of hay and shrubs) and the parents continued to feed and defend that area (which I quickly learned to avoid). Then they moved into our hay patch that we leave in our yard in hopes the bobolinks will use it. This year they did! I saw what appeared to be at least one juvenile and the female (or possibly two juveniles) fly out of the patch. They have either hunkered down in that grass or moved to our neighbor's uncut field. They are no longer defending their spot, so I hope the young fledged. 

Several fields with bobolink remain uncut as of today, so I think  some of our local bobolinks are going to make it this year. 

Julia

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CACOvFeeY5%3Dhmf%3DD5QJP90SAuHgqRdq6WU7XT8fboOZKOdGMqMQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment