Tuesday 12 January 2021

[Maine-birds] Winter Raptor Trifecta

I hardly ever chase after other peoples' birds, but the recent reports of three species of winter raptors all close together west of Portland and not far from my home was too much to resist.

I arrived in Gorham at 1:30 and saw one Snowy Owl  at Shaw Cherry Hill Farm as I was parking the car - a very white bird on grass just to the north, looking like the only pile of snow around. No sign of the second owl.

Then I went to Smiling Hill Farm in Westbrook, and immediately drove right under the rough-legged hawk,  which was sitting on a telephone pole at the west end of the fields over the busy highway. It remained there while I drove into the farm, parked, walked out onto the field, and got my scope on him. What an extremely dark bird, solid brown from chin to belly. Then he flew east along the road, over the red barn, and disappeared over the east field. I followed on foot and was rewarded by it flying again into the northeast field at about 2:15.

The third leg of the trifecta took a bit longer.  I reached the south side of the Portland Jetport by 2:30 and waited around for quite a while at the circle, telling several drive-by birders that I had not seen anything. Finally I joined the accumulating group by Mac Jets at about 3:20 just as two Short-eared Owls appeared, chasing a red-tailed hawk. A few minutes later one owl was spotted on the ground far out and provided me a good scope view. 

What an afternoon! Never before in my seventy years of birding have I chased after three species of reported rare birds in one day in three different places and found them all! Unforgettable. Many thanks to all of you who posted here about these birds. 

Tony Federer
Falmouth

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/12c5131c-4967-4a6c-8143-ec072a9fe1d7n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment