Friday 31 August 2018

[Maine-birds] Monhegan, 8.25-8.28.18

I was out on Monhegan this past weekend. While I wasn't actively birding while I was there (i.e. did not use my binoculars once), I thought I'd share a few observations for those who might wonder what goes on out there bird-wise when it's not peak migration time. 

The island did not get any of the summer rainstorms we got on the mainland and is in a drought right now. The Ice Pond is as low as I've ever seen it. I did not note any sandpipers on the newly revealed mudflats there. But a yard near the pond was recently visited by a Great Blue Heron. 

Noted for warblers: only Common Yellowthroat and Yellow Warbler. 

Cedar Waxwings have begun flocking up. I came upon several active groups of them in berry bushes and blackberry patches. It was also fun watching bunches of goldfinches feeding on the sunflowers. 

Heard a Carolina Wren singing several times in the neighborhood of the brewery. Hopefully that species is re-establishing its foothold out there. 

I also distinctly heard a DICKCISSEL calling at one point, near the Trailing Yew, and spotted the bird as it flew over (so I know it wasn't a starling!), but it didn't land within my sight. 

While I didn't spot the three Ring-necked Pheasant chicks that I first saw back in late June, I was shown a very recent photo taken by someone who lives near where I saw them. All three are still hanging around together, and one of them is clearly a male—he's starting to get his lovely adult colors. 

On a non-avian note, it was heartening to see so many Monarchs out there. The nursery patch of milkweed at the Trailing Yew hosts many caterpillars and chrysalises, as well. Interestingly, I didn't see a single Lady of either species, when last year that was the predominant species in August. 

Headed back out in a couple of weeks, hopefully will have more to report then!

Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist

Website: kristenlindquist.com
Haiku blog: www.kristenlindquist.com/blog/

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment