Saturday 1 January 2022

[Maine-birds] Sea Eagles and Winter Finches

I'm looking to write a Bangor Daily News column on the Steller's Sea Eagle, and I'm in search of a good photo. If anyone has one with enough resolution to be print-worthy, and doesn't mind donating it for photo credit only, I'd appreciate the help. Feel free to reply offline.

 

I might have taken my own photo, but I stayed away this weekend, for fear of jinxing it. Inevitably, when I chase a bird, it leaves 15 minutes before I get there, spoiling it for everyone else.

 

So instead, like an idiot, I went out and did a Winter Bird Atlas block in the woods east of Old Town yesterday. So far, this looks like a very different winter compared to last year. I covered a three mile stretch of logging road, and tallied big numbers of American goldfinch, and one flock of pine siskins that numbered over 35. No problem finding purple finches either. Last winter was almost finch-free in the north woods. In fact, it seems like most of the red-breasted nuthatches have stuck around this winter, and eBird questioned my total of 52 black-capped chickadees on the walk. I suspect winter atlas surveys are going to be more exciting than last year. Surely, foregoing a Steller's Sea Eagle in order to do a survey block is worth some kind of tangible reward from the project, right?

 

Bob Duchesne


Virus-free. www.avast.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment