Thursday 24 January 2013

[Maine-birds] Midcoast Birding

Despite the cold I decided to do a little birding today. My goal was my nemisis bird, the Northern Shrike. I found all the best habitat but no shrike unfortunately. I did get 3 eagles of the bald variety of course, 1 Red-tail and one female N. Harrier. She was flying along low in this field along Rt. 130 heading towards St. George. I parked next to an old barn and watch her with my binocs for about 20 minutes. Brrrrr it was cold. But worth it. Beautiful bird. Despite finding perfect habitat I gave up on finding my shrike. Heading home I saw a flock of maybe 30 to 40 birds fly up into a tree above Coastal Marine. I pulled in and got out to get a good look and saw that they were Bohemian Waxwings. A nice find on the way home. A cold but productive day of birding.

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment