Wednesday 24 July 2013

[Maine-birds] Boreal birds

Any day that offers up sightings of American Three-toed Woodpecker, Black-backed Woodpecker, Gray Jay, Boreal Chickadee, and Spruce Grouse is a rare day. We didn’t get the grouse until 4:06pm this afternoon, so I was way off breaking my personal record of 8:50am, but I’ll take it. The first four were off the Telos Road west of Baxter. (It’s on private land, so I don’t feel comfortable revealing the exact spot without permission.) The Spruce Grouse was on the Roberts Road north of Dolby. I put that road in the Maine Birding Trail guidebook (p187) but, frankly, it used to be better. I haven’t visited it much in the last couple of years, so the grouse hen and her three youngsters were a pleasant reward for trying it again.

 

Also of note, I’m starting to see both species of crossbills up there again. They’ve been missing since last fall.

 

Bob Duchesne

0 comments:

Post a Comment