Thursday 18 July 2013

[Maine-birds] Sora chick, Bangor; bald eagles, Orrington and Lucerne; scarlet tanager, Holden

About 2 weeks ago, I caught just a quick glimpse of a Sora chick at Essex Marsh in Bangor.
 
On Sunday, I kayaked Fields Pond and enjoyed an immature bald eagle, calling for breakfast from parents who didn't show before I moved on.  I think his nest mate was also calling from the dam area between Brewer Lake and Fields Pond.  Both were gone when I paddled back about 4 hours later.  There were lots of marsh wrens, one loon, two different wood ducks with babies, cedar waxwings galore, a great blue heron, and two of the elusive green herons teasing me by flying by.  (I'm beginning to think I'll never get a photo op with those guys!)
 
Last night I heard different singing high up in a spruce tree here at home on the Lower Dedham Road in Holden.  I just managed to catch a few quick shots of a scarlet tanager with no opportunity to adjust my light metering before he flew away.
 
This morning I kayaked on Phillips Lake in Lucerne and was rewarded almost immediately with an adult bald eagle.  I hoped he was scanning the water for breakfast, but after awhile he just spent his time preening.  While sitting beneath him, I thought the creature swimming by me was just another muskrat, so didn't prepare for taking a picture.  Big mistake; it climbed out on a rock on shore and proved to be a mink (unless it was a swimming weasel).  Other treats included a common merganser with her 4 kids, and a belted kingfisher.  Soon it got too hot for anyone to be out there, so I spent only about 2 1/2 hours instead of my usual 4-6.
 
I am loving this retirement!
 
I've posted some photos at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenrc/.
 
Ellen Campbell
Holden

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment