Tuesday 16 July 2013

[Maine-birds] Message from the Moderator

Hello Maine-birders:

I want to put an end to the recent exchange of emails. I will be handling this with all offending parties offline and would appreciate no other messages on this. All messages to the group are currently being moderated so I apologize for any delay in postings. I would like to provide some transparency in an effort to keep this a friendly environment.

I took over the listserv in an effort to ease some rules that were frankly making it difficult for birders to communicate and especially coordinate efforts to see birds. With the help of Nick Lund, the guidelines were adapted so that more posts would be allowed. However, there are a few rules that I find very important:

As stated: "Commercial posts are not permitted on this list server. Posts that may be of interest to the community, and which the poster seeks no personal financial gain, may be allowed. Please contact the Listowner (dhitchcox@mac.com) if you have questions on whether a post will violate the non-commercial requirement." This is not a place for any marketing or advertising of one's business. I do not have a problem with non-profits posting about upcoming trips or tours on occasion and typically ask they do as part of a more relevant post. I don't view a member's signature as advertising.

And I should obviously mention the rule on maintaining civility. As always, I advocate liberal use of your "delete" key and should also mention it is possible to block specific email addresses. If you have a problem with something on the listserv then please contact me directly. Especially about these rules! I've typed "I do" and "I don't" quite a few times in this email but please share any concerns you have with these rules or my enforcement of them.

The full guidelines are available at: https://sites.google.com/site/birding207/home/guidelines

On a lighter note, we recently passed a couple milestones: Maine-birds (hosted through Google) turned 3 years old a couple weeks ago and cracked 800 members just a few days before that. Thanks everyone for your contributions!


Doug Hitchcox
Hollis, ME

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment