Saturday 26 September 2020

[Maine-birds] Katahdin Woods & waters

Hi,
Someone was asking about specific birds at KW & W the other day, I think Spruce grouse & Canada jays, and I have deleted the e-mail, but anyway here are my observations from today , 9/26, somewhat limited as did not hit Barnard mtn as planned.  Supposed to leave the house at 7:30 not WAKE UP at 7:30 .  

Am. Robin
Hermit Thrush
Crow
Raven
Black capped chickadee
Golden crowned kinglets
Common Yellowthroat
Blackpoll warbler (1),  Esker path
Ruby-crowned kinglets, Esker
Canada Jay, Esker path
Red breasted nuthatch
Song Sparrow
Northern Flicker
Pileated woodpecker
Blue Jay
unidentified accipiter
Spruce Grouse (2) at Deasey pond trail, one joined me and the dog for several hundred yards before deciding we were not worth its time.  This    has been something of  a nemesis bird for me as I haven't seen any since Great Wass when I was a kid.  
Ruffed Grouse (1) Odin falls rd
Palm Warblers - in abundance, at Odin Falls trail outhouse, likely attracted by the hordes of flies.  
White throated sparrow, Odin falls with the Palms
Marsh Wren - on loop road, nowhere near marsh.
White crowned sparrow juv.  (Deasey pond trail)

Buzzy calls suspect from Boreal chickadees but I did not look to close as the usual chickadees and friends flocks were feeding very high up.  There are usually more jays at the overlook pullout but there was a large work crew there and I did not stay long.

Foliage lovely right now.  Very dry, raining needles in the woods.

Sarah



0 comments:

Post a Comment