Saturday 27 February 2021

[Maine-birds] need ID help

Hi Maine birders,  I need some help. I posted photos taken from the Otter Point Overlook in Acadia National park on 26 Feb.  After I'd looked in Crossley ID Guide I decided that, although they are sea ducks with sloping bills, they are Surf Scoters. So, I put them on ebird with the best one of the terrible photos, and on iNaturalist as well. 
  I don't get feedback from ebird unless I do something truly absurd, but iNat is very responsive and almost immediately I have a message saying that the bird I thought was a 1st year male Surf Scoter is an Eider. This is certainly possible, I saw male and female Common Eiders  the day before at Thunder Hole and I see them much more often than Scoters. If anyone is interested in giving me a proper ID before I correct my postings, I will be grateful. Thanks very much, Carol
    the iNat observation is at carol-in-maine  Ducks, Geese, and Swans
    the ebird (same photo) is: 

CHECKLIST S82442067


--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CAGrfj-tPwK3piOfq5M2_hCrL8VegZX0u1n%3D%2BGKgZkxMjpozoqg%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment