Saturday 27 February 2021

[Maine-birds] Saw-whet owl question

On Monday night I came out from work a little after 6.  My location was Bennoch Road in Orono, which I would describe as upscale suburban, i.e. large lots with lots of mature trees and patches of woods but evenly housed.  I immediately noted a couple of police-type sirens, which is unusual in this area, but there was a heavy wet snow falling and surfaces were slippery.  Within 20 seconds or so my brain registered a possible Saw-whet tooting behind the sirens.  It seemed to be quite close, across the road in some trees near a house.  As the sirens faded, I was delighted to be certain that was what I was hearing.  I moved a bit closer to the sound to try to get a recording, but was nowhere near as close as two pedestrians who had just passed on the sidewalk without affecting the calling bird.  However, very shortly after the sirens were no longer audible, the bird abruptly stopped calling.  

My question is this:  does anyone know if the owl might have been calling in response to the sirens?  I have certainly noted in my travels to and from this location that it is a pretty birdy area, but still, I was quite surprised by this owl in this location.  I realize it may well have been coincidence, but it set me wondering.  

Thanks for your thoughts,
Laurie Yntema

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CACO_gAhWV-Xs-jcid91p9H14FQcv005j8ZdSGT0AMwH66FbqhQ%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment