Saturday 26 May 2012

[Maine-birds] Biddeford Pool - lots to see, no need to search for birds

My plan was to bird near Hatties, the beach and the East Point, but I spent 4 hours just at the beach and the 3 ponds near the spiritual center. At the pond off of Elphis Rd:

1 BCNH
1 Little Blue Heron

50+ Cedar Waxwings

Warblers:
2 Blackpoll Warblers
9 Common Yellowthroats
5 American Redstarts
5 Yellow Warblers
1 Magnolia Warbler
1 Red-Eyed Vireo
2 Black and White Warblers
Ovenbird (heard, but not seen)


House Wren
Robins
Chickadees
Goldfinches
Grackles
Starlings
RWBB
Tree Swallows
Cardinals
Song Sparrows



Walked from other side of the pond to the spiritual center, lots of Common Yellowthroats and Yellow Warbers. At the spiritual center there was also a surprising Northern Parula in some honeysuckle at eye level. I rarely get to see them without looking up.

At the great pond, cormorants and mallards, but no gulls! Also added a Snowy Egret and a Great Egret to the list for the day.

Walked the beach to the land trust trail. 1 Black-Bellied Plover and a very large number (in three sizeable groups) of Semipalmated Sandpipers and Semipalmated Plovers. Lots of Ediers in the surf too.

The trail to the small pond where the Hooded Warbler had been spotted was full of Yellow Warblers and several Common Yellowthroats and Song Sparrows. Once in the trees you couldn't look in any direction and not see a Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat or American Redstart. Cedar Waxwings in good numbers too. Also had some great looks at a female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. It kept showing up in the same group of trees every time I walked by.

I also heard a few calls I couldn't identify. SO there were some other birds out there, I am afraid I just can't tel you what they were.

I looked at my phone and realized I'd been out for four hours so I had to head back home. Never made it to the East Point or Hatties.

Cheers,
Chuck

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment