Monday 28 May 2012

[Maine-birds] birders and photographers

Both "bird-watchers" and bird photographers are birders in my book.  There are good and bad of both.  Have not many of us, in our zeal to see a rare bird, pushed (or pished!) the envelope of birding ethics from time to time?  But we all know people who do it far too often.  The important thing is to not do it in the wrong places and times.  Each of us has his/her own definition of birding ethics, regardless of the ABA recommendations.  We all love birds, so let's try to think of the birds' welfare first before our own desires to tick off another species on our list.  Disturbing birds for financial gain is not cool; minor temporary disturbance of individuals for educational purposes can be okay--just don't stress a given bird too much and don't do it repeatedly.
 
So, get outside, enjoy the rare and the common birds, get some good photos and get some good bird memories, and have fun while doing it.  And don't pick on Bob!  He's awesome!
 
And here's my bird sighting of the day: while helping to fight a wildfire in Danforth today, I found myself eye-to-eye with a singing male magnolia warbler who was defending what was left of his territory after the fire burned through the area.  He still had an unburned patch of dog-hair-thick sapling red spruces that he was defending out in the burned over area.  Very interesting.
 
--Ray Brown--
 
> CC: maine-birds@googlegroups.com
> From: needsmoreritalin@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Re: Clay-colored Sparrow in Bangor
> Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:18:57 -0400
> To: duchesne@midmaine.com
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> For reasons as you have mentioned, I often don't report sightings to the list and only post them to ebird weeks later.
>
> I am a birder and a photographer and I rarely use calls. Photographers, like birders, should be patient and wait for the opportunity.
>
> Anyway, I hope you aren't taking too much flak.
>
> Chuck
>
> Sent from my iPhone... So please forgive typographical errors, message brevity and any strange word choices my phone decides were better than what I actually typed.
>
> On May 26, 2012, at 6:50 PM, duchesne@midmaine.com wrote:
>
> > OK. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I have a confession to make. I
> > found the Clay-colored Sparrow on May 22nd and, for the first time in my
> > life, decided not to report it. I was disappointed that right after I
> > found the Prairie Warbler on the Orono Bog Boardwalk a few weeks ago, I
> > heard reports of local photographers going in and taping the bird nearly
> > to death in trying to get great photos. I sadly expected the same thing to
> > happen to the sparrow if I reported it, and it has bothered me that I
> > would now feel that kind of concern about reporting birds.
> >
> > At some point, I am likely to write another newspaper column about how
> > digital photography is changing birder ethics. For some, there is almost
> > an amateur competition to see who can get the most awesome photo, and
> > sometimes the bird suffers the consequences. I do use audio sporadically
> > when leading a walk, but only long enough to give beginning birders a
> > chance at a view without a dozen pair of feet having to leave a trail or
> > roadway, at the risk stepping on ground nests. I don't tape sensitive
> > birds in sensitive areas and I always make sure the bird promptly wins any
> > singing contest.
> >
> > Recently, someone observed to me that there is a difference between
> > birders and photographers. For birders, the bird matters. For
> > photographers, it's the photo that matters. Obviously, that's painting
> > (photoshopping) with too broad a brush and most photographers have
> > retained their traditional sense of ethics. But, as I say, this is the
> > first time I've felt reluctant to report a cool bird.
> >
> > That said, I don't remember any report of a Clay-colored Sparrow as far
> > north of Bangor before. Are there any other recollections of a report this
> > far north?
> >
> > Bob Duchesne
> > www.mainebirdingtrail.com
> >
> >
> >> There is a Clay-colored Sparrow singing near the Penjajawoc Marsh,
> >> right next to Home Depot in Bangor. Admittedly it isn't much of a
> >> song (2 to 3 buzzes at a time), and being in breeding plumage, he
> >> isn't clay-colored. If you stand next to the rear of Home Depot
> >> looking toward the marsh, he usually sings from the scrubby trees
> >> close to the pavement. He has been singing the last two mornings. I
> >> don't recall him being reported earlier, but maybe he was. If so,
> >> sorry for the repeat.
> >>
> >> Also, Willow Flycatchers have returned to this site, but not in the
> >> numbers of last year. I heard only one this morning.
> >>
> >> -Bill Glanz
> >>
> >> --
> >> Maine birds mailing list
> >> maine-birds@googlegroups.com
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
> >> https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
> >>
> >
> >
> > --
> > Maine birds mailing list
> > maine-birds@googlegroups.com
> > http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
> > https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
>
> --
> Maine birds mailing list
> maine-birds@googlegroups.com
> http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
> https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment