Wednesday 23 May 2012

[Maine-birds] ID ? re crossbills in Phippsburg

Phippsburg Maine
today, as you may have already seen, I got some crossbills here in Phippsburg today. I had thougth when I first looked at them that they were White winged, but then, I looked it up in Sibley's and found that Red Crossbills also have white wing bars, but narrower than WWs. And, they have bigger beaks than WWs. So, a fellow birder has said that my photos from today are of Whhite wings, not Reds. Now, I'm really confused. Now this could be from exsanguination from today's Black fly bites. So, I'm looking for guidance from you all on the ID. White winged or Red.
Peter Vickery ahd posted about two weeks ago that he had Reds in this same area. he's a better birder than I'll ever be, so that is part of what lead me to question my first take on them being White wings VS reds.
Either variety would be odd in deed for here in Phippsburg this time of year. Near as I can tell, White wings would be wierder than Reds. So, tell me folks: are they zebras or horses in my images? Or Wildabeasts perhaps? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Oh, link below to some of the images. There are piles more shots of both genders and juves. RRR
 
http://www.robinrobinsonmaine.com/BIRDS/BIRD-OF-THE-DAY/i-RmGv65P/0/XL/20120523-MG3291-XL.jpg


Robin R Robinson
Birding The Burg
http://robins-chaos.blogspot.com
http://robinrobinsonmaine.com

"On the internet", the dog using the keyboard reassures his canine friend, "nobody knows you're a Dog."



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment