Thursday 24 May 2012

[Maine-birds] Newcastle Warblers etc.

Had a surprising day in my yard this morning with Warblers atleast. Had 2 new yard birds including a silent Blackburnian Warbler and a vocal Blackpoll Warbler ! Other Warblers in the yard included:
Yellow
Yellowthroat
Redstart
Chestnut-Sided
Black and White
Northern Parula
Went to my favorite warbler spot to see what else I could muster up and found:
Yellow-Rumped
Pine
Black-Throated Green
Northern Parula 
Yellow
Yellowthroat
Also had a Wood Duck with 11 chicks
4-5 RB Nuthatches (my 1st of the year,where the heck have they been all year ?)
Not a single Ovenbird today ! Even the nesting one with no tail feathers was silent.
Had a Pileated almost fly into me coming up the trail.
Great day but certainly a lackluster Warbler migration this year in my opinion.
Did get 5 or 6 Red Knots at Biddeford Pool yesterday with John Tobin. Even at high tide !!! Behind Hatty's on a grassy peninsula with plenty of Dowitchers, Black-Bellied Plovers and Ruddy Turnstones. Thankyou Rob Speirs for your help as I have never been to Biddeford Pool before.
Never realized how much of an incredible migrant the Red Knot was until I Google'd it.
Still have Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks and Indigo Bunting at the feeders.
 
Mark R Hoffman
Newcastle Maine
207-458-1897
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment