Sunday 27 May 2012

Re: [Maine-birds] Re: Clay-colored Sparrow in Bangor

Bob Brings up an interesting dilemma...... When do we stop believing everything he tells us about birding and photography.
 
First of all your statement
 
For birders, the bird matters. For
photographers, it's the photo that matters....   What about the BIRDER who is a PHOTOGRAPHER and its not about the bird but instead is about documenting the bird while  not disturbing it.   After reading your note here I would think people wonder if they should be photographing birds at all for fear of being placed in your BOX of not being birders?  For example, my documentation of a Male LITTLE BLUE HERON in formative breeding plumage at Seawall.  This is an excellent bird for MDI and it flew to us....  no tapes or gadgetry. But we had a camera.... a digital camera.... that captured this Brief Moment In Time (BMIT). 
 
Personally I think the above statement is bogus  because for anyone that has the Skill set to photograph birds it is the DOCUMENTATION  of a rare bird or an aberrant bird that makes Digital photography a MOST USEFUL TOOL in an ornithologists arsenal of tools.
 
Should an amateur be in the field disturbing nesting birds? ..... No way... I think it is inappropriate behavior unless there is direct scientific benefit only warranted as part of scientific research or a land survey.
 
The other dilemma... TAPES...........  I never use tapes and would argue that they should never be used ...,especially by professional guides,  who are visiting places over and over again.  Ipods for recognizing a calling bird... seems appropriate to familiarize yourself or a client with a call.  But calling birds in with tapes..... a bad precedence..... I think.   Phishing verses tapes?  something to think about.   
 
For the professional guide to use a tape.... it says something about their professional (in)-abilities (my opinion) . Especially for beginner birders.... your tape sessions  sets a precedence Bob,  which I would think you would appreciate as well as being a bad thing to promote publically... but apparently you seem comfortable with your use of tapes. The end justifies the need for your tape use.   Sounds like you are trying to justify your  own use of tapes while criticizing photographers.  
 
Should there be guidelines for Photographers....  pretty easy.... Do not ever disturb nesting birds. ABA Guidelines are very clear.  Tapes are also a bad disturbance of birds so... personally   and in Acadia National Park..... tapes should not be used...(my opinion) I don't use them and still see a few good birds.
 
The American Redstart pictured above came to me and was not called in with any tape.  Here we have the opportunity to study plumage differences between individuals..... This seems like an appropriate use of Digital Photography... which I think is the coolest thing since sliced bread. 
 
Just a suggestion...  get a few Birder/photographer views before writing your future article and include the problem of professional guides and the public using tape recordings....  and include a discussion about what a Birder is verses a photographer....  I'm looking forward to that..... 
 
Michael
 
A Birder and a photographer  
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: duchesne@midmaine.com
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:50 PM
To: maine-birds@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Clay-colored Sparrow in Bangor
 
OK. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I have a confession to make. I
found the Clay-colored Sparrow on May 22nd and, for the first time in my
life, decided not to report it. I was disappointed that right after I
found the Prairie Warbler on the Orono Bog Boardwalk a few weeks ago, I
heard reports of local photographers going in and taping the bird nearly
to death in trying to get great photos. I sadly expected the same thing to
happen to the sparrow if I reported it, and it has bothered me that I
would now feel that kind of concern about reporting birds.
 
At some point, I am likely to write another newspaper column about how
digital photography is changing birder ethics. For some, there is almost
an amateur competition to see who can get the most awesome photo, and
sometimes the bird suffers the consequences. I do use audio sporadically
when leading a walk, but only long enough to give beginning birders a
chance at a view without a dozen pair of feet having to leave a trail or
roadway, at the risk stepping on ground nests. I don't tape sensitive
birds in sensitive areas and I always make sure the bird promptly wins any
singing contest.
 
Recently, someone observed to me that there is a difference between
birders and photographers. For birders, the bird matters. For
photographers, it's the photo that matters. Obviously, that's painting
(photoshopping) with too broad a brush and most photographers have
retained their traditional sense of ethics. But, as I say, this is the
first time I've felt reluctant to report a cool bird.
 
That said, I don't remember any report of a Clay-colored Sparrow as far
north of Bangor before. Are there any other recollections of a report this
far north?
 
Bob Duchesne
www.mainebirdingtrail.com
 
 
> There is a Clay-colored Sparrow singing near the Penjajawoc Marsh,
> right next to Home Depot in Bangor.  Admittedly it isn't much of a
> song (2 to 3 buzzes at a time), and being in breeding plumage, he
> isn't clay-colored.  If you stand next to the rear of Home Depot
> looking toward the marsh, he usually sings from the scrubby trees
> close to the pavement.  He has been singing the last two mornings.  I
> don't recall him being reported earlier, but maybe he was.  If so,
> sorry for the repeat.
>
> Also,  Willow Flycatchers have returned to this site, but not in the
> numbers of last year.  I heard only one this morning.
>
> -Bill Glanz
>
> --
> Maine birds mailing list
> maine-birds@googlegroups.com
> http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
> https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
>
 
 
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment