Sunday 28 April 2013

[Maine-birds] daytime owls. dusktime hawks Surry/East Blue Hill

Two odd owl events - on 4/11 I flushed a Great Horned Owl at about 10 am from a near-ground location in a small fir.  It was at the edge of a bog, and the bird was definitely adult (we had a long look at each other, one of us irritated and the other thrilled); I guessed it might be hoping for some birds on the water, as I had been.  Still, I was surprised by the time of day.  Location seemed unlikely for a roost.
 
Yesterday at 2 pm on a very sunny afternoon, at least two and maybe 3 Barred Owls started calling in the woods just south of my house - there was a lot of overlap between the calls so it was hard to be sure about the number.  Went on and on.  Again, I was surprised by this activity due to timing. 
 
Last night, just before complete dark, a piercing plaintive call from the treetops, over and over again, which I THINK was one of the Broad-winged Hawks that has been gracing my yard.  It was not the harsher scree of Hermit Thrush, and was very high up.  I had heard some very strange vocalizations a few days earlier, but during the daytime, which turned out to be two Broad-wings, ?courting noise - can't find anything approaching it on my apps. 
 
If anyone has insight into these events I would love to hear it! 
Thanks,
Laurie Yntema
East Blue Hill, Maine

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment