Tuesday 30 April 2013

Re: [Maine-birds] Saco - Biddeford Birding 4/30

Hi Chuck,
Indeed, that's a Common Murre in basic plumage.  I am presuming (without having checked any references yet), that this is a 1st year bird.

Anyway, what time did you have the bird?  I saw it there this morning around 9 this morning, with about 6 Razorbills, and it stayed close to shore long enough for me to be joined by Katrina Fenton, Henry Walters, and Pat Moynahan.   Always a treat to see from the mainland, I probably would have posted if I thought it was going to stick around.  Sorry, folks, but glad you saw it too, Chuck!

-Derek

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 30, 2013, at 6:22 PM, Chuck Homler <needsmoreritalin@gmail.com> wrote:

A relatively quiet day today.  I started out at the Heath where the only birds I saw or heard were Chickadees, Blue Jays, Crows and a Downy Woodpecker.  Seriously!  The boardwalk is a dead end halfway through the heath but the work they are doing on the boardwalk and trail should be applauded. 

From there I headed to Biddeford Pool. I didn't see any shorebirds.  There were 7 Long-Tailed Ducks in breeding plumage off of the beach by Gilbert St.  Also a pair of Green Herons (in the same tree) and a Juvenile BCNH that was near the land trust off 7th,

I had a Murre, which I believe to be a Common Murre based on the shape of the face and the angle to the bill.  It was off the Eastpoint with some Eiders and a pair of RB Mergansers.  Photos on the Maine Bird List flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mainebirdlist/

Great weather to be out!  Only Warbler for the day was a Yellow-Rump hanging with a Phoebe at the pond in the woods at the land trust.

Cheers,
Chuck

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment