Saturday 27 April 2013

[Maine-birds] Finch swap

The rhythm of birding in Maine never ceases to amaze me. I’ve only had a couple of redpolls hanging around this week, down from the hundred last week. The remaining redpolls left this morning and the first goldfinches moved in this afternoon. The finch swap was abrupt this year.

 

Meanwhile, I’m taking advantage of the good weather to sit on the deck and tune up some slide shows that I’ll be presenting at various events and festivals this spring, including my favorite Birding By Ear slideshow. But every time I open a warbler file for editing, the pine warblers hear it and start trilling from the treetops around the house. Maybe I’ll have to do this indoors…

 

The American Bittern was calling from across the northern edge of Pushaw Lake in Hudson last night, a Barred Owl was also calling an hour before sunset, and all of the woodpeckers have been wicked vocal all day today.

 

Bob Duchesne

www.mainebirdingtrail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment