Friday 26 April 2013

[Maine-birds] Florida Lake, Freeport - interesting Canada Goose

I went for a hike around the lake with an almost 2-year-old in the backpack this morning, hoping for a wave of warblers.  I did see a handful, but not the amazing amounts observed in the last few days, as posted in this forum earlier.  At the very end of the hike, with the kiddo more than ready to have lunch, I saw a dark Canada Goose by itself on the north end of the pond.  This goose was one of ten on the pond, and it didn't seem any larger or smaller than the others there, but it did seem darker.  The interesting thing about this goose was that it appeared to have a white forehead.  When I got the binos up, I was able to see that it had a white spot above each eye.  I only got a couple of pictures with the cell phone that aren't worth posting.

I know that Canada Geese can be quite variable in size, and apparent neck length (especially depending on their posture), but this was the first time I had ever noticed one with such a distinct and unique difference in coloration.

Ben S.
North Yarmouth

--
--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment