Sunday 28 April 2013

[Maine-birds] Peregrines S. Thomaston

Weskeag Marsh in S. Thomaston was entertaining this afternoon.

 

My wife and I stopped at the parking lot as we usually do, and almost nothing was apparent at first. Two Snowy Egrets flew by, crossed the street and turned and landed atop a small pine. About then a Red-Tailed Hawk showed up, flying low from the wooded area toward the open marsh. I spotted a small kettle of birds high in the sky above the red-tail as I was watching him and said to Faith, watch the big bird. (She’s my spotter!) While I watched over head what was probably a few Broad-winged Hawks (one was close enough to identify), suddenly, Faith calls; behind me was an ornithological kerfuffle between a Peregrine Falcon and the red-tail in question.

 

The male Peregrine skillfully dispatched his heavyweight interloper, principally by yelling at him (or her, a young bird) and generally making a nuisance of himself. He then turned and flew back toward the apex of one of the pines that limn the marsh’s edge. I hadn’t noticed, but mother was atop the pine he was headed for. His Majesty and Her Royal Highness were not shy. The two mated and he slipped away behind the pine stand, I think rather close to the new observation area that was dedicated last year.

 

The female Peregrine, still perched at the very top of the pine she was occupying, and not entirely satisfied with being passive, took a heightened interest in two Green-winged Teal that swam in front of her in the marsh. She left her perch and flew down to investigate. At first she was discreet, but abandoned that posture nearly immediately. She made a second pass and the teal dove underwater, shallow as it was. I believe there was a third pass with the same result, and then she flew off in the direction that her mate had left.

 

I hope the TV’s that circled overhead sent that feed to the networks.

 

Glenn Jenks

Camden

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment