Monday 24 September 2012

[Maine-birds] ID help, pee wee? YB flycatch? Phippsburg

Phippsburg, Me map 6 Heron Cove Road

Below is a link to my photo gallery for eBird identification purposes. Please forgive in advance the cumbersomeness of this. On the last of three pages of images are six photos I posted today. Two different birds. I think one two are Eastern Wood Pee-wees and one is Yellow Bellied flycatcher, but I'm not sure about either. I would appreciate input and help on this. I've added ID points on the captioning of the images on the site. 
Habitat was pond edge. Birds were flitting around from the trees, scrub, atop a fence and a bird house post and gleaning insects from the grass of a large lawn. There NEVER tail bobbed like Phoebes do and they were smaller. All three birds were together. At first I though it was a male and two females of the same birds, but then, when I studied the photos, I wasn't so sure. On eBird, I IDed them as Olive Sided Flycatchers, male and two females. eBird gave me the big GONG! MUST CONFIRM which got me to thinking I was probably wrong. So, I hit the Sibley's and some other references, digging myself deeper and deeper into the abyss of uncertainty. There are those of you who will no doubt say it's too late, but please, somebody reach out and save my sanity with some ID help. You'll feel good about yourself. 
One bird, the presumed male has a very yellow belly. Vague darker vest of slightly gray. Soft, not very contrrasted buffy wing bars. Slight crest on the head. no clear eye ring. Size of a Chickadee. Unable to get coverts or tail or solid side shot of wings. I think it's a Yellow bellied flycatcher. 
The other two presumed females, have flight shot which shows tail and back and wings clearly. ? Eastern Wood Pee-wees? 
Help, I've fallen and i can't get up. 

http://www.robinrobinsonmaine.com/Other/eBird/20888035_sMnHPp
 

Other birds at same place and they were ALL together with the above:
Gray Catbirds
Red Eyed Vireos (3!)
Yellow Rumped warbs
American Redstarts all female (at least 4)
House finches
Goldfinches
Song Sparrows
RB nuthatches 4
White Breasted Nuts
hairy woodpecker

In the air, flock of about 35 Cedar wax hanging around

Thanks to you all, RRR



Robin R Robinson
Birding The Burg
http://robins-chaos.blogspot.com
http://robinrobinsonmaine.com

"On the internet", the dog using the keyboard reassures his canine friend, "nobody knows you're a Dog."



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment