Sunday 23 September 2012

[Maine-birds] MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT

Although Saturday night produced conditions favourable for a fall-out,
the night proved uneventful. The morning continued quiet and wet with
showers, drizzle and fog through until the noon hour.

Things improved into the afternoon; drying, sunny, warm and light
breezes. Birds began appearing, encouraged by the absence of raptors.
The mix of species proved a bit limited but still interesting.

Warblers were very sparse: a bare handful of YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS
and a similiar number of YELLOW WARBLERS; very few BLACK & WHITE
WARBLERS; a couple of PINE WARBLERS and a single PRAIRIE WARBLER.

BLUE HEADED VIREOS were very obivious. I guess that there were more
than 2 dozen around. Several times I had 3-4 in sight.

Orioles were also very obivious. For the second time this fall, and
only the second time ever for me, I saw a flock of BALTIMORE ORIOLES.
The best count I could get was eleven and they were joined from time
to time by 3 ORCHARD ORIOLES.
Oddly enough, these certified fruit eaters completely refused fresh,
ripe Grapefruit, Oranges, Grapes and Grape Jelly.

DICKCISSELS were very busy and mobile but I'm certain that we had a
minimum of 6 around.

1 very ratty looking MOCKINGBIRD hawked the island, an apparent
replacement for the trim and dapper individual that was here late last
week.

I nearly stomped on a GRAY CATBIRD as I straddled a drift log. It
proved to be much wilder than my presence warranted so I wonder if a
recent encounter with a raptor had it spooked.

MONARCH BUTTERFLIES continue common but greatly reduced from last
week's flood. Other butterfly species are almost non-existant. I only
saw a few Whites, a couples Sulphurs and a handful of Painted Ladys.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment