Thursday 27 September 2012

[Maine-birds] Monhegan update 9/27

I have to confess that I took most of yesterday "off" to actually relax a bit before my vacation ends here. My only new species yesterday was 4 Tree Swallows.

Today, more hawks moving through, though still not in huge numbers. Just from the lawn of the Trailing Yew while we ate lunch we watched several merlins, harrier, peregrine, and a sharpie.

Sparrows arrived in greater numbers, especially whitethroats. On the seed up in the ball field, had a regular cluster including dickcissel, chipping sparrows, 2 clay-colored, 1 Lincoln's, many song and white-throated sparrows (and brown thrasher).

Other highlights included:

Canada goose-1 (though others saw more)
BG Gnatcatcher-2 or 3
Bald eagle on Manana half the day
Western kingbird, perching often next to an Eastern kingbird at the edge of the Meadow
Red crossbills-7
Pine siskins-16
Red-bellied woodpecker-3
White-breasted nuthatch-2
Blue-headed vireo-1

Seen by others but not by me (because I'm clearly getting a little lazy at this point!): Marsh wren and 4 AMERICAN PIPITS in Lobster Cove (Derek Lovitch's group); Cape May warbler (Jeremiah Trimble and Blair Nikula); 2 white-winged crossbills and a swamp sparrow at Burnt Head (seen by Lloyd whose last name I'm forgetting); Lloyd also relocated the GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER on the road to the lighthouse. I think I'm forgetting some things--especially other birds I know Jeremiah and Blair turned up--but the days have started to run together at this point!

Kristen

Sent from my iPad (so please forgive weird auto-correct errors)

Kristen Lindquist
12 Mount Battie St.
Camden, ME 04843
www.klindquist.blogspot.com

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment