Friday 26 October 2012

[Maine-birds] East of Moosehead

I spent the day in the woods east of Moosehead Lake, searching for interesting habitats within easy reach of Spencer Pond Camps. Some of the day’s totals:

 

Gray Jays: 5

Boreal Chickadees: 13

Red Crossbills: 7

White-winged Crossbills: 7

(OK. I’m fudging on the crossbills. They were all flyovers and I’m guesstimating my IDs.)

Pine Grosbeaks: 7 (always in ones and twos – no big flocks.)

American Pipit: 1

Bohemian Waxwing: 1 (Darn near ran him over. He was in the road as I rounded a corner. He emitted the lower/slower reedy whistle just as he avoided my right front tire.)

Northern Goshawks: 2

Ruffed Grouse: 6 live, 2 not so live. (It’s still hunting season.)

Warblers: ZERO!

 

Moose: 1 (BIG!)

 

There was a nice assemblage of mergansers on Little Spencer Pond: roughly ten each of Common and Hooded. Nice raft.

 

Bob Duchesne

www.mainebirding.com

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment