Sunday 28 October 2012

[Maine-birds] Red-Bellied Woodpecker in Rockport

Skip Small has had a Red-Bellied Woodpecker at his feeders in Rockport for about a week now. Mine is about every other day after a summer absence. A friend of mine called me 3 days ago to report 3 Black-Headed Grosbeaks at her feeders (she was so excited !) She e-mailed me a picture of them and they were Evening Grosbeaks. Nothing special at my feeders lately except that I have had a Ruby Crowned Kinglet for the last 3 days and had both Kinglets yesterday. Heard the RC Kinglet make a couple of raspy cherps yesterday which was cool. I wish I could see the ruby cap.My Siskin numbers and Goldfinch numbers have gone down significantly, still plenty of WT Sparrows and a couple of Song Sparrows et al. Did I completely miss hawk migration this fall ?????? Normally when I am out on the field coaching 4th-6th grade football I see alot of Broadwing Hawks migrating but I did not see a single one this fall. Perhaps I paid too much attention to the kids which seriously bums me out because I love watching hawks in the fall.
 
Mark R Hoffman
Newcastle Maine
207-458-1897

0 comments:

Post a Comment