Wednesday 8 July 2020

RE: [Maine-birds] Mystery songs 1 of 2

I hear Cedar Waxwings, Prairie Warbler and then two House Wren songs at the 10 and 18 second mark followed by more Cedar Waxwings sounds, another Prairie Warbler song and then a series of American Goldfinch calls beginning at the 32 second mark.

 

Jeff

 

From: maine-birds@googlegroups.com <maine-birds@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Charles Duncan
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:34 PM
To: Maine Birds <maine-birds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Mystery songs 1 of 2

 

In the last week I had a couple of bird songs that I couldn't identify, but managed to get recordings.  I hope somebody here may be interested in giving a listen and opining as to your thoughts.  

 

I recorded this one at California Fields Wildlife Area, a shrub-grassy area with Grasshopper Sparrows, an Indigo Bunting and towhees near Hollis, Maine (Yprk County).  I heard this bird sing way above me several times and was unsure what it was.  I finally got a look at a bird at the top of the tree where the sound was coming from and it was a male American Goldfinch.  It was high enough up that I couldn't see if its movements were synchronized with what I was hearing.  Habitat was second-growth woods with trees up to 30' high (aspen, birch, etc.). But I just can't convince myself that this sound is, in fact, AMGO.  Am I overthinking this?  Other suggestions?

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/CAN1rb-wg3caaPgdy6szr4tuv-5uk2sYBnazdZ7ZRdrdQjOX8Jg%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment