Saturday 15 August 2020

[Maine-birds] Not a morning dove!

I have just spotted this dove sitting on the power line outside my house- 11:06am Saturday.
It is much paler than a MODO and has a squarer tail tip. Also appears to have a speckled collar around the back of its neck. The wing tips appeared lighter than the rest of the already light bird. Markings seem rough enough to imply a juvenile? Looking in Sibley's I don't find a sure match, and he has no drawings of an immature eurasian collared dove or a ringed turtle dove, but the overall pale color would suggest those. I've attached the best photos I can get for now, w/ my iPhone up to my binoculars. I attached one photo where a MODO landed on the wire above briefly, so that helps with size and shape comparison. It's flown off as I'm posting this, but any experienced birders in the Cheverus / Canco woods area of Portland might want to prowl the neighborhood. I will keep an eye peeled for it. The MODOs have been to my feeder and yard frequently, maybe it will keep company.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/e14c9f0d-b850-4c01-bf64-dd1fd06cc5d9o%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment