Saturday 17 October 2020

[Maine-birds] Back Cove Portland - A very bird morning, and help with bird ID

I was surprised and pleased to see so much activity at my feeder on such a rainy morning.
I've been jealous of the other Pine siskin sightings and was thrilled to see a group show up at my feeders. 
- Probably a dozen siskins at highest count.
- my first 2 juncos of the season
- several white throated sparrows have arrived in the last week and again this morning
- many many chipping sparrows still passing through; it seems to have been a bumper crop season for chippers; I had babies all summer long
- I've had 2 or 3 red breasted nuthatches almost daily since mid-August, and one has been going back and forth to the feeder for a few hours
- Carolina Wren has been in the neighborhood all summer, but didn't seem interested in my feeders; it is now
- Yellow - rumped warblers, more than I've ever had in my yard, all this week. There have been a lot in Payson Park as well
BIRD ID HELP!
I have what I think is a first winter White Crowned Sparrow?
Fairly large, smooth grey nape and breast. In movement, rump showed smooth grey as well. Slightly rufous crown- split in center with a small fleck of light yellow in the center of the forehead. Dark, though not truly black eye line. Peachy - orange bill and legs.
Looks like two white wing bars, although the lower is much clearer.
I have a couple photos here on FLICKR
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190664271@N07/albums/72157716505962967



--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/maine-birds/320029f5-4ec2-4081-b597-ee2a756c7174n%40googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment