Tuesday 27 October 2020

[Maine-birds] I have finally seen migrating American Crows

As many of you know, I have spent many a sunset period watching crows come into the Lawrence MA winter crow roost (some of you have even been to see it with me) but, until Sunday I had not seen massive numbers of migrating crows..

 

NEW HAMPSHIRE - October 25th, from the Woodmont Farm parking lot in Hollis NH where I was sitting while Bob, my husband,  unsuccessfully was searching for Susan Wrisley's rare Longspur, I finally witnessed crows migrating. Over a thousand crows from 9 - 11 am they came up low from low from the NE, crossed Rt. 122 and then went up over the hill of Woodmont Farms to the SW and out of sight.  There was a steady stream of them with periodic pods of 40 or so.  A few landed in the apple trees but most just flowed over. A few flocks swirled. According to the Birds of North America, they often spend the night in existing roosts on their way north or south.

 

MASSACHUSETTS - Wayne Petersen of Mass Audubon just alerted me that the hawk watch at Mt. Wachusett MA had 1,200 American Crows pass by.  The same crows????? Oh, how much more I would like to know.

 

MAINE -  Allan from near Waterville, Maine reported thousands of crows at Exit 130 off of Rt. 95 in Waterville on October 20th.    

 

My posting on NHBirds prompted All Maley to email me this today:

 

ONTARIO CANADA -  Here's a comment from Holiday Beach on the north shore of Lake Erie in Ontario:

 American Crows were abundant today with 7,230 individuals migrating over.

They have a knack for finding the perfect time to fly; at the same time as

masses of Turkey Vultures. Makes for good clicker fun!

They normally record over a hundred thousand crows here each fall 

 

Please let me know if you see more migrating crows.

Thanks,

Dana Duxbury-Fox

North Andover, MA

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment