Thursday, 12 December 2013

[Maine-birds] Coopers/Sharpie questions

I just started working at a school in Bangor, in a classroom that has windows looking out on the front grass and a bush with bird feeders and suet near or in it.  The teacher told me that a hawk has come and snatched the occasional bird, which of course upsets the kids, but interests me. This morning I was distracted by a small flock of house finches, when a hawk flew in and landed in the bush.  I don't know if it caught anything, and it almost immediately flew away.  The squirrel which had been under the bird feeder immediately climbed a low branch in the bush and flattened itself against the branch. 

So I have two questions.  No doubt this was either a Sharp-shinned or a Cooper's hawk.  In the few seconds I had (while I was supposed to be answering a student's question about his poetry), I observed a fairly long, narrow tail with bands on it, and a gray-ish back.  That's it.  In size, it seemed significantly larger than, say, a robin or other largish songbird.  My field guides say the Sharpie is a 'tiny' hawk; this one did not look like a tiny anything to me.  It wasn't quite as large as a crow, however.

When I see these birds, and I have, several times, in Bangor but always while I'm driving or otherwise engaged, I see them for only a few seconds and never as yet when I have access to my binoculars.  Can someone give me some pointers on attempting to identify them?

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment