For those that may be around the New Bedford, Mass (Gooseberry /Fairhaven islands) area looking for owls I want to share these images. Snowies are still there, maybe up to 4-5 of them.
-- I visited the Fairhaven West Island snowy last Saturday afternoon. This bird was resting on a lobster trap at the beach. This snowy looks very well fed with plenty of blood stains on beak, talons and back of its body. I was able to observe it and photograph it for about an hour as he peacefully rested in this gorgeous fall evening. Later, as a couple was strolling along the beach he flew to the rocks at the end of the island.
snowy resting
snowy, close up portrait
On Sunday afternoon I went to Gooseberry Island and saw one snowy feeding on a duck. Apparently he made a kill an hour before I got there and was resting on a rock with prey on talon. He spent the rest of the afternoon resting and eating the duck. Nearby a short eared owl was actively hunting. Very cool to see two species of owls within eyesight!
Gooseberry owl on duck
to see all the images from this shoot, go to link below
website
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
0 comments:
Post a Comment