Monday 24 February 2014

[Maine-birds] Bald Eagle noise

I live in Bangor, on Thomas Hill,  and am used to seeing Bald Eagles over the Kenduskeag stream.  In fact, one flew overhead while I was taking the kids to school today, and when I left my own school at 3 another flew over my head screaming.  There were gulls around and it looked like it was screaming at them.

So then I got home and heard the same racket.  Way up, I could see a Bald Eagle soaring, but that didn't explain the noise.  I kept wandering down the street, and found two more eagles sitting in my neighbor's tree.  They were about ten feet from each other, on different branches of the same tree and on the same plane, if that makes sense.  They were calling and the one in the sky seemed to be calling as well.  My first thought was that they were youngsters demanding food, but as I got closer I could see that they had nearly adult plumage.  I would guess fourth year, as their heads were white but their tails not quite white.  I lacked binoculars and my approach spooked them.  They flew toward the Kenduskeag Stream and I could just make out the three soaring in circles above it.  I haven't had a chance to see if there is anything of interest in the stream.

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Maine birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment