Thursday 27 February 2014

[Maine-birds] FW: Evening Grosbeak Vocalizations

Forwarding this request that came to me via Dept. of Conservation… he’s looking for folks willing to record, or who have recordings of, Evening Grosbeaks.

 

PS plz don’t respond to me, connect with Aaron directly…

 

Mike

 

 

From: Aaron Haiman [mailto:anhaiman@ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:39 AM

I am a graduate student at the University of California, Davis where I am working on my PhD in Animal Behavior.  My work focuses on the vocalizations of Evening Grosbeaks and the social effects these vocalizations may have.  One really interesting thing about Evening Grosbeaks is that they have 5 different flight call variants.  These variants are generally found in different parts of the country, but there is also a fair bit of overlap.  No one knows how these variants are maintained or if they are important in mate choice, socialization, or anything else, and that is what I hope to learn.  One of the first important steps is to determine where these different variants occur, and that is why I am emailing you.  Evening Grosbeaks occur in Maine, at least occasionally, and I was wondering if you might be willing to help me.  What I am looking for are recordings of Evening Grosbeak flight calls.  They do not have to be high tech recordings, almost anything will do including a smart phone!  If anyone at any park in Maine is willing and able to make any recordings of birds they encounter and email me the files, I would be very thankful.  Also, if you know of anyone else (birding groups, Audubon chapters, etc.) who might be interested in participating, I am trying to spread word about my project and so collect as many recordings as I possibly can, so please feel free to pass my info along to them.

--
Aaron N. K. Haiman
Animal Behavior Graduate Group
University of California, Davis
anhaiman@ucdavis.edu
http://abirdingnaturalist.wordpress.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment