Tuesday 31 July 2012

[Maine-birds] Cherryfield birds

Hello All,

Michael Good's post highlighting Tufted Titmouse reminded me to post a sighting of this species, first one I've seen in Washington County: This was yesterday early, on River Rd. just south of Rte. 1 (across from the Riverlily gift shop). After seeing Michael's post I went back just now to try to relocate it; saw a small plumpish bird of the right color, but never saw the head, so I don't know if it was the titmouse or not. The dirt road to the boat launch had many birds, mostly common warblers, but also a couple of catbirds and a Belted Kingfisher. Right at the boat launch there were 10-12 sparrows feeding along the edge of the tall grass, mostly Song but at least 2 Lincoln's. I am not good with sparrows, but I studied one pair closely for minutes, and don't what else they could have been. 

Other places:
River Road between the bridges: Northern Cardinal singing a couple of days ago. I see them all the time in FL, but never singing--I had no idea what bird was singing until I saw it. 

Below the dam (on "Dam Road"), across the river, there have been 1 or more Alder Flycatchers all summer; also a female Wilson's Warbler a few days ago. 

Kayaking the Narraguagus River (above the dam) yesterday evening: Belted Kingfisher, Northern Harrier, Osprey, American Bittern, Common Nighthawk, common warblers and waxwings. One mystery bird larger than a robin, smaller than a kingfisher, grey-brown, flew across the river from and into thick cover; that one is driving me crazy. 

Sorry about the belated reports, guess I've been a little lazy.

Joel Wilcox
Cherryfield

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment