Wednesday 18 July 2012

[Maine-birds] Phippsburg Me various avian and non

Phippsburg, Me map 6 Totman Cove and her 'bouts
 
Right this second, I'm looking at 75-100 terns fishing. I'm assuming them to be Commons, though there could be others that I can't discern nor see. This is more terns than my husband and I  have ever seen in here at once before. Zooming by Dromore Bay on Rt 209, north of Center Store/Parker Head Rd, there are that many terns on the tide line tonight. Two days ago, I stopped there to count the same and there were 125 that I could count, certainly more actually there. I've never seen anywhere close to these numbers in years past. Interestingly, this has been a banner year for Atlantic Sturgeon leaping out of the water in Totman Cove, too. I've counted as many as 15 in 15 mins.
I have seen all summer extraordinary #s of Cedar Waxwings here in The Burg, esp. in Small Point. I've easily seen 1000 of them in the past six weeks.
The ruby-throated hummingbirds fleglings are cleaning me out. They are consuming 1 Gallon of food a week. No joke. For once, they are beating the Yellow Jackets and assorted other wasps to it!
And, non avian: banner years for butterflys. Just saw a Black swallowtail beauty of a flutter tonight, Virgin tiger moth, Small Magpie moth, Question Marks, Crescents, Red and White Admirals gallore and the American Ladies!!!!! I just hatched sixteen of them in my kitchen. What a glorious sight that was! RRR


Robin R Robinson
Birding The Burg
http://robins-chaos.blogspot.com
http://robinrobinsonmaine.com

"On the internet", the dog using the keyboard reassures his canine friend, "nobody knows you're a Dog."



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment