Monday 23 July 2012

Re: [Maine-birds] Gray Jay -Cadillac Mountain , 7/22

 
Hello ,
 
I wanted to report a sighting yesterday afternoon of a Gray Jay on Cadillac Mountain just north and east of the Blue Hill overlook around 4:25 pm. . The sighting was confirmed by two capable observers who I had birded with in the AM.  Gray Jay is not regularly seen on MDI  and a mid summer sighting makes this a rare bird for this time of year.  Yesterday evening I made an attempted to find this bird around the location  but the 40 knot southwesterly winds blowing last might were  strong enough to lay down a motorcycle on the mountain  road (no injuries :-).   I have had Gray Jay at Fresh Meadow a few winters ago and there are recent sightings on MDI but summer sighting are rare events on this island in the sea. 
 
I
was in the field and apologize for not finding a computer sooner.
 
All the best,
 
Michael

0 comments:

Post a Comment