Sunday 22 July 2012

[Maine-birds] Hermit/Swainson's switching

A curiosity I have noticed up here in Rangeley involving Hermit and Swainson's Thrush singing this spring and summer. I first heard Hermit thrushes singing back on April 20, and then continued hearing them for several weeks, but no Swainson's. I don't have when they arrived in my notes. But sometime in May, the Hermit's stopped. and the Swainson's took over, right along with the Veery.
Then for the rest of the time up to now, I have noticed when the Hermit thrush was singing, the Swainson's and Veery would be quiet. Back and forth. Last week the Swainson and Veery was going, today none could be heard, but the hermit was singing. I've been able to spend time on the Boy Scout Road almost everyday this year and so this has been my first chance to notice it. Like I said, it's just a curiosity that I have noticed. And yes, I have heard them singing in the same areas as each others.

And I was birding with a few friends and saw a warbling vireo and listened to a Philadelphia vireo here.

Kirk Betts
Rangeley, ME

--
Maine birds mailing list
maine-birds@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/maine-birds
https://sites.google.com/site/birding207

0 comments:

Post a Comment