Tuesday 12 February 2019

[Maine-birds] leucistic RT hawk

So this is how the magic happens. My column in the Bangor Daily News this Friday will be about the number of red-tailed hawks along I-95. But I don’t have a great photo of winter RTHAs along the Interstate, so I resolved to get one during a trip to Augusta today. I usually see several.

 

The first was the best – perfect pose, perfect light. And a perfect semi on my back bumper, preventing me from pulling over in time. The second was partially obscured by branches. The fourth refused to cooperate. 

 

But the third was posing perfectly in beautiful light. Unfortunately, it was leucistic – an almost pure white hawk near the northbound exit in Sidney. I’m calling that one the weirdest red-tail I’ve ever seen. If you’re in the neighborhood, don’t be surprised.

 


Bob Duchesne


Virus-free. www.avast.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment